I have touched on this in a previous post but today we will have another more detailed look at how to recover data using a linux live CD. Live cd’s can be easily downloaded off the internet and most distributions now have one. For the purpose of this tutorial I have used a Linux Mint 11 live DVD which acts in exactly the same way.
The data recovery procedure is as follows:
1. Load a live CD / DVD and wait until the desktop environment is visible.
2. Open up a terminal and type sudo fdisk -l. Write down where your partition is installed e.g /dev/sda1.
3. Next type sudo mkdir realroot. This will make a directory on the desktop.
4. Next type sudo mount /dev/sda1 realroot (replace /dev/sda1 with the ID of your device obtained in No 1 above). You should now be able to see your hard drive on the desktop.
5. Browse your hard drive to find the folders where your data is saved. Locate your data and save to an external hard drive.
About the Author
Follow @Comtech247 on Twitter