Something slightly different today. I was talking to a fellow tech last week about the usual – tech issues, new gadgets on the market and so forth when the conservation got onto hard drives, specifically what is the most innovative way you know of to physically destroy a hard drive? So below is the list we came up with.
1. Whack it with a hammer. This is a really good way to unwind after a stressful day in work and yes it does work.
2. Soak it in a sink full of washing up liquid. Did this once to see if it would work and yes it does.
3. Run it over in the car. Again the amount of damage an average car can do means the hard drive will never be used again. The bigger the car the better!!
4. Shoot it with a gun (never tried this unfortunately but would guess a hard drive with a hole in it wouldn’t work again).
5. Install Windows on it (other guys suggestion and not mine!!)
6. Apply a magnet to the outside.
7. Flamethrower (this has been done by one guy I do know!!)
8. Use a grinder and turn it into dust. This is a most satisfying way to destroy a hard drive having tried it once.
9. Drill a hole through the centre of the hard drive (works on the same principle as the gun method).
10. Drop it in a vat of acid.
That is what we came up with. Do you have any ideas that we missed? If so please share!!
About the Author
Follow @Comtech247 on Twitter