We all use the internet but how many of us really know how to stay safe online? Today we shall outline 10 of the most important ‘must do’s’ when using the internet.
1. Antivirus. You must have antivirus installed and it must be upto date when using the internet. If not you will be leaving yourself open to a heap of problems. I would recommend BitDefender for both home and business clients.
2. Firewall. Again this is a must. Most modern operating systems come with a firewall installed but you must make sure it is turned on.
3. Passwords. These should be complex and not stored on your computer. Do not use password123.
4. Email. Be wary of opening any email from people you don’t know, especially if they contain attachments. This is a common way of infecting systems with a virus. Banks will never contact you by email.
5. Credit cards. If you use credit cards online make sure the website address starts with https. If it doesn’t then anyone can intercept your card details and use then online.
6. Do not store bank details on your computer. If someone gains access to your system then you will just have handed them access to all your money.
7. Dodgy websites. Be careful which websites you access. If it looks a bit dodgy then leave the site.
8. Downloads. If possible do not download torrents. Torrent sites are usually where most of the viruses are located. Also be careful when downloading free trials to ‘fix your computer problems’. These types of software will always find something wrong with your system even if it is working flawlessly.
9. Emailing passwords and usernames. This is not a good idea but if you have to send passwords and usernames use separate emails.
10. Updates. Make sure that your operating system is fully updated. That way known vulnerabilities will be taken care of.
I hope that these tips will be of value. Just remember them and you should be safe while using the internet.
About the Author
Follow @Comtech247 on Twitter